Thursday, May 3, 2012

Throwback Thursdays



The following is from an actual conversation I had yesterday. I'd done a music swap with a friend and I'd started sorting through some of it.

Me: I can't believe you have Gnarls Barkley.
Friend 1: Why? I really like Gnarls Barkley.
Me: It surprised me is all. That and he sounds a lot like Cee Lo Green.
Friend 2: Audra, Gnarls Barkley IS Cee Lo Green.
Me: **chuckling nervously** Huh! How 'bout that!

I love when I say incredibly stupid things! It just goes to show that I don't know everything about music, but I'm good for a laugh. Whenever I feel like I've just made a fool of myself, I like to think of the party pictured above.

Back in 2003, I threw a small gathering at my parents house because they were away on vacation; good thing my rents don't read this blog. It was the Party of Five State: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Montana were all represented. The party was centered around the arrival of my friend Hollis, from Montana, who was also Deaf. (I know a little sign language.) So here we are, having a good time, drinking, playing card games, I remember there were mullet wigs being passed around for photos. One friend, whom shall remain nameless went on to 'say' the most hilariously dumb thing in all of history.

As I stated, Hollis is Deaf, so if my friends wanted to converse with him, they either asked me to sign or they wrote on a piece of paper. Except Vanessa, who went on to sign the entire song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas because she had learned how to sign it in grammar school and could still remember it. Which was highly entertaining, by the way. Other friend whom shall remain nameless, was having an animated written conversation with Hollis. I looked over and saw Hollis staring at the paper, up at my friend, over at me and then shrugged his shoulders with a 'You have to be kidding me' look on his face. I had to know what it was about. The notebook read, and I kid you not:

"Do you like to listen to Bob Dylan?"

Think about that for a second. It's not that Deaf people don't listen to music, they do, but of all the musical artists in all the world, the friend whom shall remain nameless asks about Bob Dylan. Bob Freakin' Poet Dylan. If that wasn't funny enough, remember, the friend whom shall remain nameless had to WRITE THIS QUESTION ON A PIECE OF PAPER.

So if you ever say something incredibly stupid and you feel like a fool, just remember, you could've asked a Deaf guy if he likes to listen to Bob Dylan.

Oh, and in case you missed this yesterday from my facebook posting, you MUST check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment