Friday, December 30, 2011

Best of 2011: Music


I threw together the album covers to the new music that came out in 2011 in order that I listened to them. (To the best of my knowledge.) In the future, I'm going to do album reviews as they come out. I want to point out that I do not think these are the best albums of the year, even though the title of the post says exactly that. I went with a theme this week of best of posts and I can't go back on it now. These are the albums that I listened to that came out this year. I have more extensive notes on certain albums than others. I've listened to some more than others. I love some. I don't like some.

I think I gravitate more to Indie Rock than anything else, but I really can't stand categorizing music. I listen to music that I like; why do we have to assign a title to it? Some days I'll want music that rocks other days I'll load up my iPod with Nintendo game music and be just as happy. Is there even a category of music for Nintendo game songs?

For this post, I really wanted to share music with you. I've created playlists through Grooveshark for all of this music just so you can listen to it. The titles are links that will take you to a playlist. You might find something new that you love. You might think I'm insane. Either way, 2011 was a great year for music. Enjoy!

Kiss Each Other Clean by Iron & Wine

I have a love/hate relationship with Iron & Wine. I think they are brilliant, don't get me wrong, and Sam Beam's beard is nearly as epic as E's. (I am a sucker for a good beard) I was listening to them when I was in my first car accident, leaving the set of the last Indiana Jones movie. It took me a long time to be able to listen to them after that. My niece was born with Iron & Wine playing in the background; what a way to come into this world.
Kiss Each Other Clean has so many layers to it, beautiful and varied instrumentation, amazing imagery and a good moving tempo throughout. I definitely want to see them play live next round of touring.

Take Care, Take Care Take Care by Explosions In The Sky

Every now and then I need instrumental music playing in the background to be able to get work done. I love reading and processing pictures to this album.

The King Is Dead by The Decemberists

I picked this album up in order to qualify for free shipping from Amazon. I liked a previous album and figured what the heck. Great album, great harmonies with a fun folky feel. Keeps your feet tapping and is good for just about any mood.


Codes And Keys by Death Cab For Cutie

I'm not a huge Death Cab fan. I thought this was ho hum. Not great, not horrible. I can listen to it, but I don't go out of my way to.

Love Notes/Letter Bombs by The Submarines

The Submarines aren't for everyone. They've got a little bit bubble gum happy about them, but I tell you what, every now and then, I enjoy that. What really drew me to them was their amazing performance opening for the Eels this summer. Opening bands really have a rough job and the ones that win me over with a passionate performance score massive points in my book. Blake was amazingly kind and you could really feel her sincerity. And she talked to the fans as she was packing up her gear which was awesome. I adore her voice and her outlook on life.

Best Imitation of Myself by Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five

I've only included the three "new" songs performed by Ben Folds Five. It's a three disc retrospective covering the career of Ben Folds and all his musical incarnations. My oh my, I have mixed feelings about this album. I don't think it was done well. I would've liked a separate Greatest Hits CD and then a rarities/live album sold separately. I really don't need a new copy of songs I already own. That's just me. I don't think the live songs really captured Ben's personality as best they could.
There is an abundance of bootlegs out there of Ben and Ben Folds Five, so maybe I'm a little biased. I really felt like a live version of Underground should've been included. Each member of the band had an introduction that showcased their individuality, which is what I loved about them. How could you title your album after a song and only include a bad demo version of it on your retrospective? I've heard an amazing live acapella version of Best Imitation. There is a much better quality of Careless Whisper with Ben and Rufus Wainwright on the internet than what was included here. It's almost as though Ben didn't do his research on his own bootlegs, which is strange because he's so involved with his fans and has such a strong social media presence.
Out of the three "new" songs, only one of them is technically new. One was written by Robert years ago, newly recorded by all of them. One was written by Darren and released on his self titled Hotel Lights CD, and it was much better done by Darren. Sorry, Mr. Folds. I am happy that Ben, Robert and Darren reunited and have plans to record more music together. That's awesome, they are a great band. I just don't want this to distract from the amazing music Darren is producing on his own.
I have to say the packaging on this album is fantastic. Folds asked fans to send in memorabilia and he used a lot of it as the artwork. (Even though he didn't use any of mine, booooo! No hard feelings!) There are detailed explanations to the history of the songs or the recording and that is very much appreciated. I'm a huge fan of linear notes. Two big thumbs up there.


Lupercalia by Patrick Wolf

I was introduced to Patrick Wolf through the recommendation of a friend of a friend. I got together for a concert early this year with a group of really cool people. Afterwords, I asked for everyone's favorite band, which is a great way to find out about new music. I really enjoy his earlier work, but Lupercalia didn't impact me the same way. It's much prettier than his other albums, which is fine, I enjoy different sounds and themes from an artist. What I didn't like is that it feels like he lost his edge. Take a listen to Magic Position and tell me what you think.

The Road From Memphis by Booker T. Jones

The first purchase for my birthday, compliments of my awesome brother. Whenever you're in doubt for a present, get me music. The more obscure, the better. Home run with this pick. I was the manager for a cafe right out of college, and one of my favorite things about my job was my Wednesday night crew. We had live music every Wednesday, just a bass player and keyboardist, but I can totally get into that. Just listen to Crazy and try to tell me you didn't laugh. Keyboardists have this amazing talent of being virtual jukeboxes. It never ceases to amaze me. This whole album cracks me up.

Nothing Is Wrong by Dawes

Dawes, dear, sweet Dawes. I want to like you. I really, really tried. You encompass so many traits that I like about a band: great song writing, emotions and a distinct sound. You even have Benmont Tench on your album, which should make me immediately love you. (If you don't know who Benmont Tench is, I don't know if we can be friends anymore. Go look it up. He is one of my all time favorite musicians and happens to have a kick ass birthday.) But even Benmont Tench can't make me like this album. It's strange, I can listen to a few songs and if they come up on shuffle, I'm not turned off. But listening to this CD from start to finish is Such. A. Chore. The majority of it is so slllllloooooooowwwwww. It really drags on. I don't know why that bothers me so much, but I can't get through it in any single sitting, and I've tried multiple times now. Another birthday purchase, so my brother was one for two, but as I said, I should've liked this album, so I don't blame you at all. Keep buying me music, your choices last year were grand slams!

Girl Graffiti by Hotel Lights

Everyone has that one band they listen to that they want nothing more than for them to break through and become popular and famous. You've been there from the beginning, you can't believe how other people haven't heard their amazing music, you know the story. Hotel Lights is that band for me. Darren Jessee, former drummer for Ben Folds Five, weaves intricate, delicate lyrics with hauntingly beautiful music. Darren's style is a mix of Elliot Smith, Wilco and all other things good in this world. His third album, Girl Graffiti, introduces so many more instruments into his repertoire, which was a joy for me to hear. I love this album; it has not left my iPod since it came out in August. I don't think you'll hear anything more eerily beautiful this year than the song Girl Waiting. It still gives me chills at how tangible the longing is. Listen and tell your friends to listen.

Seeking Major Tom by William Shatner

Any year with a new William Shatner album is a good year. Did you know William Shatner has multiple albums? Oh, yes, he does, and I have them all. I'm not saying it's good. I'm not saying it's something I listen to every day. If you need a break from what you're used to, if you need a laugh, hit up some William Shatner. It's on the same level as Mrs. Miller. Don't know Mrs. Miller? Are we friends? Really?
Ok, so I love William Shatner. That being said, this DOUBLE album is hard to get through. There are some amazing high points: Space Truckin', She Blinded Me With Science, In A Little While. It's flat out silly and how great is it that he doesn't take himself seriously? But this is what happens when Shatner is left to his own devices. He tries to cover every type of musical genre ever invented. It's not cohesive, some of the songs go on too long with instrumental solos. Let's be honest. I came to listen to The Shat do some ridiculous spoken word. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd go somewhere else. This could've easily been a single album, if edited properly. It made me appreciate what Ben Folds did with his collaboration with William Shatner. (You need to listen to Has Been; Shatner wrote the lyrics, Folds wrote all the music, produced and brought in some amazing musicians to work on the album. It's incredible!)
I'll say it again, any year with a new William Shatner album is a good year. The man is 80!

Noel Gallgaher's High Flying Birds by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

FINALLY! I've been waiting for Noel Gallagher to release a solo album ever since Liam blew off the MTV Unplugged performance in the 90's. Noel always was the real talent and driving force behind Oasis. Some of you might be turned off by Oasis, but I want you to give this album a chance. Put aside the pompous attitude and the ridiculous bickering that's associated with Oasis and listen to the music. I feel like Noel finally put together his masterpiece with this album. Its soaring strings and choirs, driving drums, brass, backwards guitar licks, pedal steel, wine glasses, even some saw (although he needs to learn a thing or two from The Chet: Master of Saw) are like nothing Oasis would ever do. The man writes some amazing lyrics: "I hope I didn't speak too soon/My eyes have always followed you around the room/Cause you're the only god that I'll ever need/I'm holding on and waiting for the moment for my heart to be unbroken."
I hear more I like every time I listen to this album. Every song could be a single. My only complaint is that it goes by too quickly.
Packaging and marketing wise, I think Noel has some brilliant people working for him. The glossy photo book that accompanies this album is great. I love that he made a big deal about the photographer, Lawrence Watson. It's great that he listed the website for the designer of the pin that was photographed, www.hazelbee.co.uk.  I was impressed with how efficiently they shipped out the album. In the past, I've shyed away from pre-ordering because you tend to get the product weeks later than the release date. Sadly, music stores have stopped carrying music. I want to have the album art for bands that I like, but I want to get a copy the day it comes out. Gallagher's website offered a digital download on the release date and their site did not crash so I was actually able to download it. And they overnighted the CD. From England. At no extra charge. Nice work, man.


Making Mirrors by Gotye

Hooray for stumbling onto amazing music by accident! I was channel surfing when I came across the video for Somebody That I Used To Know on NewNowNext Pop Lab. (I wanted to point this out because we all know MTV doesn't actually play music videos anymore) I cannot get enough of this album. I listen to it and I immediately want to play it again. I like listening to it with my headphones on, I love rocking out to it in the car. There are so many styles throughout this album, such fun instrumentation and synthy stuff going on, it engages me more than anything else I've heard in a long time. Wally De Backer is the man behind the music, an Aussie, go figure, and when he's at his best he has this amazing gutteral quality to him. It reminds me of good Peter Gabriel music, before he got too artsy fartsy. The layering of his voice on Somebody That I Used To Know literally sends chills down my spine every time I hear it. Save Me is another gripping anthem; it's one of those songs that you feel like you've always known even though it's the first time you've heard it. I can not wait to see him play live next year.

Towards The Sun by Alexi Murdoch

Another brilliant, sensitive songwriter. He sounds like Nick Drake.What's interesting about this album is that he recorded it while on tour. When he went back and listened to it, he thought it was great and decided to release it. It definitely has an organic feeling to it.

Wounded Rhymes by Lykke Li

I listened to this from because of Hank's glowing praise of the band. I always need more female musicians to listen to. I've only heard it once, but I liked it. Heavy on the percussion, which I liked; it reminded me of some of Andy Stochansky's early work. Good voice. Interesting.

El Camino by The Black Keys

Everyone's been talking about this album, so I thought I should give it a listen and I needed one more album cover to complete my fun collage up there. Again, I've only listened once, and that was at work which means I didn't give it my full attention. It sounds like a strong rock record, reminded me of some of the energy that Muse had behind them, but I'm not sure that it deserves all the hype it's getting for one of the best albums of the year. It didn't blow my mind in any way.


Phew! This is by no means all that I listened to this year. I was introduced to a lot of other music that was new to me, but came out years ago. I'd be thrilled to know what everyone thinks; please leave me some comments! What music are you looking forward to next year? Are there any bands that you haven't heard from in forever? I am hoping for some new Ben Folds Five and a tour would be incredible. I would love something new from any and all of these artists: Fleming & John, Andy Stochansky, Eels (It feels like it's been forever since we've heard from them even though the last of their trilogy came out in 2010. You get greedy fans when you release an album every six months!), Keane, Travis. Jon Brion is releasing a new soundtrack for the kids movie ParaNorman, which I have high expectations for. There will be a new Andrew Bird album in 2012. Noel Gallagher mentioned that he collaborated with another artist and that would be out this year. I'd die laughing if it turned out to be Adam Ant...

As always, I'm looking for new music to listen to. Suggest away readers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a cool write-up Audra. I like how you reviewed records that you didn't just put winners, but gave your spin on everything you listened to. I've got to pick up additional Hotel Lights albums... I've only got the first, which was really enjoyable. Always liked Darren's songwriting, I find it very disarming. Interesting take on Dawes (slowwwww). I don't have that record, but I have the first (North Hills) and really like it. To me, it's got a similar feel to Neil Young's Harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that the Submarines came out with a new record. Bonus :) So.... why does your 'best of' blog post include albums you hated?

    ReplyDelete