Monday, December 5, 2011

Ben Folds is the best thing on television


I don't watch a whole lot of reality TV, but I've been a fan of The Sing Off since their first season. Why? Ben Folds. He's one of my all time favorite musicians, and he's amazingly insightful as a judge. It's refreshing to hear constructive criticism in a competition show. I know an acapella singing competition isn't for everyone, but maybe it should be. Instead of snide remarks and entire episodes dedicated to some of the worst singers you've ever heard just to get a laugh, The Sing Off showcases some real talent and growth.

Last week was the finale, where the judges sing with the final contestants. The first year, Folds played the piano. In an acapella singing show. It was horrible. It made no sense because he's a proponent of acapella music and often times includes his entire audience in a sing along. This year, the powers that be got it right. Ben conducted the audience along to Not the Same. It brought me back to some great concert memories with Folds jumping on his baby grand piano. I even remember a time when he smashed drum cymbals with his microphone from atop his piano back in they days of Ben Folds Five. During the TV performance, Folds hopped onto the judges table in excitement, with his big ol' toothy grin and waved his arms in crescendos. It was a great moment; I'm totally jealous of the picture.

I bet no other judge on a reality show competition is going to do that.

Tonight, The Sing Off is airing a Christmas Special with contestants from past seasons and some more collaborations with the judges. I'm fully expecting another fun, cheeky performance from Mr. Folds. I encourage y'all to check it out at 8:00 PM on NBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment