Monday, December 26, 2011

Best of 2011: Concerts



Puffing my chest out, proudly, Not a bad set of images, if you ask me. Not bad at all.

I've been planning this post for a while and it went through a lot of edits. I have to say, it was HARD selecting shots, and that's a good thing! It's funny; when I started this blog, I didn't have a specific direction. I'm a photographer, I want to share my work, maybe grow my business. I never thought I would rediscover my love of concert photography, but I certainly have. Looking to the year ahead, I want to develop this. I get excited when I look at the pictures up there. I'm excited for the concerts I'm going to next year (more on that soon) I'm excited to take chances, I'm excited for the relationships I've built. Make sure I don't chicken out, readers!

Images Left to Right, Top To Bottom:

• PBoo, Tiny Al, Knuckles, E from the Eels @ Music Hall of Williamsburg: There are so many great pictures from these concerts, but this is easily a standout for me. This is my favorite group shot of the year.

• Noel Gallagher @ The Beacon: I like how this could easily be any musician at any concert. I like the connection between the musician and the audience. I like how he was only in this position for a heartbeat (I have a ton of pictures that don't work because his head isn't the shot, too much of his body isn't being hit with light, etc) It was a quick moment that I was ready for and one that wouldn't have been captured anywhere else than from my vantage point.

• Jon Brion @ Le Poisson Rouge: I've talked about the intensity of this shot before and how much I admire Jon Brion. Even though I didn't like my position at this venue, no one else got this shot. Patience and persistence.

• Noel Gallagher @ The Beacon: I did not expect Noel to show this amount of energy. Personally, I think he makes a good front man and hope that he settles into that role over the next couple years.

• E from the Eels @ Music Hall of Williamsburg: There is a direct connection between this picture and the silhouette shot of Noel Gallagher. I'm in the position of the fans in the shot above. I don't know what it is that gets me every time I see a well done silhouette shot. Maybe it's all the hours I spent watching Mystery Science Theater 3000...

• Darren Jessee from Hotel Lights @ The Rock Shop: I might be most proud of this picture. The light, or should I say lack thereof, in the Rock Shop was a challenge. Darren is such a quiet, contemplative musician and I feel like I captured that.

• The Kingston Trio @ Bridgeport Cabaret: I love that three guys with acoustic guitars and grey hair rock just as hard as any of the other musicians in this collage.

• The Chet, E from the Eels @ Music Hall of Williamsburg: This picture has such a Herb Ritts quality to it. (Think Chris Isaak's video for Wicked Games) It looked fine in color, but it spoke so much more to me in black and white. I'm tickled this picture is on the Eels website. I wonder if The Chet has seen how bad ass I made him look.

All in all, I feel like I'm able to see that moment of passion and intensity in any situation and capture that. For me, that's what makes a great photographer. Be it a family portrait, wedding, landscape or concert.

I want to thank all of my friends that went with me to a show this year. I know I can get into a zone and I might not say all that much, but I assure you, I'm having a blast. I really enjoy sharing what I love with you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment