Sunday, September 16, 2012

Ashi Massage Portraits


I bet you're thinking, there goes Audra with her foot pictures again, but that's what Ashi Massage is all about! Here's a little background on the subject:

"Barefoot deep tissue, also known as barefoot compressive deep tissue, or barefoot sports massage, is a blend of Eastern barefoot techniques, such as barefoot Shiatsu massage, coupled with a Western manual medicine, encompassing deep tissue, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, transverse friction, compression, tension, shear, PNF, stretching, as well as parasympathetic response, on clothed clients using no oil.

This modality typically uses the heel, sesamoid, arch and/or whole plantar surface of foot, and offers large compression, tension and shear forces with less pressure than elbow or thumb, and is ideal for large muscles, such as in thigh, or for long-duration upper trapezius compressions."

Christina DeVos of Milford Body Therapy

Looks pretty crazy, doesn't it? I'm impressed with the amount of upper body strength Christina has to be using the parallel bars for an hour and a half during the massage. Christina performs Ashi massages at Milford Body Therapy and at Kettlebell Daily. I've been told the best part of this massage technique is that the foot can get into areas of muscles better than a hand can. I'll let you know if that's true at the end of next week, when I get my own Ashi Massage.

For my regular readers, I haven't forgotten about the Photo of the Week. I'm actually still in the city and haven't had a chance to process any of my pictures from the past three days. That, and many others, will post later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment