Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Shmurricane

Egghead & Shively
This is a reference I think only 2 people reading my blog will get, but with all the talk of hurricanes and evacuations, it immediately popped into my head. I did some searching on the internets, and there really isn't anything out there. I've got an inside connection, so I have an actual DVD of Egghead & Shively, a puppet show from 1992 that aired on UCTV at UConn. One of Egghead's catch phrases was, "Oh! The wind and the rain!!!" I wish I could find something on youtube for you to watch, loyal readers, alas, you'll have to take my word for it, it was awesome!

So, it seems that the East Coast will deal with an earthquake and a hurricane all in the same week. I still don't believe the whole earthquake thing actually happened; I'm convinced it was all an elaborate facebook hoax! I'm really not concerned with Hurricane Irene's impending doom either. Maybe it's because I've seen so many hurricanes miss over my extensive 30 years. Every time, people make a big deal out of it and snatch up every single bottle of water, loaf of bread, gallon of milk, battery and flash light they can find. I'm not kidding, take a look at our front office from earlier today:


I love the fact that one of my coworkers actually stole the shopping cart instead of putting the water in their car. Is anyone else sick of everyone acting like is the end of the world? If this hurricane actually does hit, I'm pretty sure we'll all survive. Why can't we act like civilized human beings? It's pure chaos in stores today, and I can only imagine what tomorrow will bring. 

My hurricane prep? I went to Barnes and Nobles to pick up a couple new books and an LED book light that runs on AAA batteries. I stayed off the Post Road and traffic wasn't that bad, except when I tried to find a gas station that didn't have a line wrapped around the block. I ended up paying for more expensive gas, but trust me, it was worth it not having to deal with the crazies. My external hard drives and camera equipment have been packed up into water tight containers. That's about it. If I have to move to higher ground, I'm ready to go, but I highly doubt the Long Island Sound is going to get enough steam behind it to travel all the way up the hill that I live on. Hey, Mother Nature, if you want to prove me wrong, go for it. I've got my point and shoot camera ready for whatever you can throw at me!

I did notice this bumper sticker on my travels today and it cheered me up for about 5 seconds until the white SUV cut me off in the center of town in Milford. Thanks for that, jerk face, and I hope whatever store you were in a rush to get to was all sold out of whatever item you needed.

Sorry, my sarcasm is in full swing today. Everyone be safe and get through the storm. 




No comments:

Post a Comment