Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Eels Second Look


I found a few more images I wanted to share from the Eels concerts.

Set lists: 
(I've put a • between songs from different nights)
1. Flyswatter • That's Not Really Funny
2. That's Not Really Funny • Flyswatter
3. Somebody's Watching You
4. Grace Kelly Blues
5. Packing Blankets
6. Prizefighter
7. My Beloved Monster
8. Fresh Feeling
9. That's Not Her Way • I'm Going To Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart
10. Tremendous Dynamite
11. Love of the Loveless
12. I Like The Way This Is Going • Saturday Morning
13. This Is Where It Gets Good
14. The Look You Give That Guy • Climbing to the Moon
15. Hot Fun In The Summer Time
16. Band Intros
17. Knuckles Song
18. Novocaine for the Soul
19. Souljacker Pt. 1
20. I Like Birds
21. Beginner's Luck
22. Losing Streak
first encore:
23. Last Stop This Town • It's a Motherfucker
24. P.S. You Rock My World
second encore:
25. Fresh Blood
26. Looking Up



    Fresh Feeling Collage
    I was thrilled that they played this song and I thought it was arranged perfectly. I took two photos from the first night then added a band shot from the second night.


    E watching Knuckles for cut


     PBoo and Tiny Al
    I felt like I seriously shorted them on my first post, and it wasn't from lack of pictures. I was just geeking out over all the pictures of E and The Chet...


    Jam
    Upon second review of my pictures, I saw E's face in this one and it cracked me up. Classic Everett pout.


    E and The Chet
    Another fun interaction shot


     PBoo


    Knuckles being introduced
    I realized that I really didn't talk about the music at all in my original post. The first night, the two most important things in the world to Knuckles, besides drumming while simultaneously singing a song about himself, were: riding the L train aimlessly for hours and wearing ironic hipster t shirts. (Williamsburg is a very young and hip neighborhood.) The next night it got even more rough: bedbugs and counting bodies in the East River.


    The Chet tuning
    Not just a nice shot of his tats, but one that shows the Snatch Brothers turning their back to the audience. When there was a song without brass, they turned and faced the backdrop.


    PBoo playing trumpet
    Again, pictures that needed a little bit more love in the processing department. There wasn't a whole lot of light hitting the left side of the stage. Most of my shots with PBoo playing had the horn blocking his face. (Something I know all too well from my days as a trumpet player.) He played an interesting rendition of New York, New York during his introduction.

     E
    Just had to throw another in of the man rocking. I was slightly bummed that he didn't use his guitar with the "E" on it, because I was so ready for that shot!


    The Chet during Fresh Blood
    This is the opposite of the shot from my previous post, where I missed on the strobe light, but I thought it was still noteworthy.


    Tiny Al and E
    This happened right in front of me as Looking Up began, and I kept waiting for someone to turn on a light. They never did. I knew I could get something out of the photo because I shot in raw, but it's pretty heavily processed. Just so you can see, the original is here:



    Right side of the stage during Looking Up
    In my original post, I mentioned that I completely missed certain things during the first night, and this would be one of them. The brass section and Knuckles had this awesome gospel choir thing going on and they were dancing up a storm on the right side of the stage. It had a very Family Feud feel to it with the addition of the brass.


    Knuckles
    Totally should've gotten more face time on my last post. I was somewhat surprised at how many clean shots I took of the drummer. (Thanks for moving out of the way, E!)


    Solute
    The second night opened up with what sounded to me like the opening to All You Need is Love and a solute. Again, not a lot of light on the band yet, so I had to pull a lot out of this one.

    The rest are some interesting facial expression shots of E. I definitely ran of out steam the first time I went through my shots because there were some gems I'd overlooked. It's funny how differently I view pictures depending on my mood. At first, I didn't want any hands in any of my shots, so I passed a lot of them over. Some of them are fun, like the extended ROCK! hand near the end, that I think enhance the pictures.

     
     



     E Playing it up for the crowd
    Another low light shot, but a keeper all the same.




    1 comment: