Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Return of Throwback Thursdays


The Eels at Music Hall of Williamsburg, July 30th, 2011

One of my weekly blog post topics had fallen to the wayside ever since the Gotye concerts in September. For the newer followers, Throwback Thursday posts are old pictures from before I had this blog; sometimes they are really old film shots. They tend to focus on something that's currently going on in my life.

I've been fairly busy processing wedding photos the past week or so and I'm about to start work on my first photo album design. I received word that my favorite band, The Eels, will be touring next year. Back in 2011, I took some great shots with the point and shoot camera and sent them along to their webmaster. This was the first band to use my photos and give me credit for it and my goal was to convince them to let me shoot with my DSLR on their next tour. Of course, the band took a break, so I focused my efforts elsewhere. I kept shooting and sharing images with bands and had some lucky breaks. I am always excited when I have the opportunity to photograph a band; it doesn't matter who they are because it's what I love to do.


The Eels at Music Hall of Williamsburg, July 29th, 2011 
(No, I did not use flash in this picture. It was the result of timing out the strobe lights provided by the band)

I reached out to the connections I've made concerning the Eels as soon as I heard. I've even made a back up plan to try to cover this concert for a website that I would very much like to shoot for. While I had a great experience in 2011, I know this band has a very bad reputation with photographers. On the one hand, that's good because not a lot of photographers are jumping up and down to cover them. On the other hand, it's made me feel very uncomfortable. This is my favorite band and I would be absolutely crushed if that reputation applied to me. The voice of self doubt rages, 'Maybe you shouldn't cover this.'

I made a reference this week that only my coworkers and close friends will understand: The Eels are like the Foran High School Graduation of concerts. I'm sure that makes no sense to you, but luckily, I have another Throwback Thursday post that explains this. (How blasé of me to reblog a past Throwback Thursday post in my current Throwback Thursday post!) When you have been warned by not one, but multiple photographers that have covered the exact same subject, that you should walk away, you should probably take that advice. That was definitely the case of the Foran High School Graduation shoot, except for one little fact. It is, to this day, by far one of the most bizarre and hilarious stories and experiences I have ever had.

What am I here for if not to experience life? And how will I grow and learn if I don't take that chance? It might turn out to be a horrible experience. It might turn out to be incredible. I'm sure I will have a great story to tell one way or the other. The Eels are the band that reignited my passion for concert photography and I want to properly cover them the way they deserve. Maybe, just maybe, I will change their minds about photographers.

Either way, I'm gonna wear a green shirt; it's what I'm know for!

No comments:

Post a Comment