Thursday, June 7, 2012

Throwback Thursdays


I love night photography almost as much as I love concert photography. It's so much fun to be able to create an image that you wouldn't see in normal life. Painting with gels, sparklers, flash lights and my personal favorite, fireworks.

The above image is from 2005, from the Stratford Fireworks Display. When I shoot fireworks, I bring my tripod and cable release. I use a low ISO to be able to have a longer shutter speed. Watch a few fireworks to see the general position in the sky and focus on a burst. Switch the focus to manual and fire away. This was shot at f11, high depth of field, and is a 3 second exposure with my 70-200 lens. I started fully zoomed in and slowly during the exposure, zoomed back out. It creates the three dimensional light trails. You get the opposite effect if you zoom in while the shutter is open.

Play, experiment and above all else, have fun.

For anyone that just found their way over to this blog thanks to Matt Paxton's shout out, here's a link to the post he was talking about. Thanks, Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment