Thursday, February 16, 2012

Throwback Thursdays


On the second official Throwback Thursday, I dug into the archives and found this picture of my Great Aunt Angie slicing garlic for fresh pasta fagioli. I love that she didn't even think about using a cutting board.

This was taken a few months after my grandmother had passed away. She was the oldest of ten, with eight half siblings and one full sister. This side of the family grew up and lived in New Rochelle, New York. I didn't get to see them often, and being the youngest of fourteen grandchildren, I didn't have a lot of memories of them. Angie struck me because she looked so much like my grandmother, and when my brother and I visited her, she reacted the same way my grandmother would have: "It's so wonderful to see you! Sit down. Are you hungry? No? What if I made you some pasta fagioli? Well since I'm cooking, I might as well fry up a couple pork chops. You barely ate anything! Have some more!" To this day, they were the best pork chops I've ever eaten.

1 comment: