Saturday, May 7, 2011

Two Years


That is exactly what happened when I tore my ACL two years ago today. Well, maybe that's not the real story, but my coworkers definitely cheered me up with some pretty fantastic photoshopping. As devastating as my injury was at the time, I look back at it now as a major turning point in my life. Recovering from it reminded me that I was a strong person that could come back from anything. I used the rehab as a platform to get back into shape and make my body stronger so this would never happen to me again. Two years later, I've stuck to that goal.

Addy keeping me company after my surgery.

It's important for me to be as active as possible. When you have any kind of leg injury, you realize how much you take the simple things for granted. Just being able to walk on a sunny day was impossible the first few weeks. This morning, Trainer Steve really ran me through the ringer with circuit training. Burpees, tire jumps, plenty of different squats, mountain climbers: pretty much all the things I struggle with. (And he came up with this workout not even knowing this was the anniversary of my injury!) I got through 4 sets of circuits without any pain, just a little bit of a grumpy left hip. I still need to do more stretches to get it to loosen up.

Next, I went to the batting cages. Last year, I went with a few of my coworkers and it was my first official test of my knee in a real sporting environment. Obviously, I had been cleared by my surgeon and had been working out hard for many months. I was so nervous! I remember my legs were actually shaking as I waited for the first ball. I was very timid as I stepped with my surgical leg every pitch, but it got easier and easier every round. This year, I didn't even hesitate. I didn't feel injured at all. I felt...normal. And it's been so long since my body has felt that way.

 

I'll leave you with a clip from Family Guy. I tore my ACL in May, but didn't have surgery until August. I remember this strange dripping sensation in the back of my knee. It felt like drops of water were running down my skin, but on the inside. Gross, I know. Vanessa teased me that my ACL was flailing around like one of those wacky inflatable waving arm guys and that's what I was feeling. Well, it was actually my body slowly deteriorating what was left of my ACL. Even more gross, right? 

Be active, be safe and face your fears head on!

No comments:

Post a Comment