Sunday, April 3, 2011

Video Game Orchestra




I've returned from my trip to Boston where I saw the Video Game Orchestra perform. The show was titled: Back to the Future: Two Generations of Film and Video Game Composers, and it was held at Symphony Hall in Boston. It was a fantastic experience shared with my friend George and a few of his other friends. I was blown away at Symphony Hall; my pictures do not do it justice.

I've included a few tracks from the night over in my music widget. It was amazing to hear Lord of the Rings in person. The three movie soundtracks are a regular in my ipod rotation. Another highlight for me was Alan Silvestri's conducting of two songs I am very familiar with: Back to the Future and Forest Gump. My high school concert band attempted to play these songs, and I remember how challenging they were. I felt for the trumpet section on every missed/cracked note.

After the intermission, the real fun began: the video game portion of the show. Songs included: Super Mario Brothers, Myst, Afrika, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross. Fully orchestrated video game songs makes me wish I still played trumpet. Unfortunately, the electric guitar was too loud and covered the sounds of the orchestra in some parts. Other than that, the concert was great.

On another note, I purchased my tickets for the two Eels shows in July in NY. I'm super excited and can't wait to see what E has in store for this leg of the tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment