Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Customer Service: You're Doing It Wrong


I don't tend to blog Monday through Wednesday because my 9 to 5 wears me out. I couldn't hold this rant in though. I deal with customers, in both my daily job and my photography business. I cannot understand how anyone can treat their customers so horribly. 

Last week, I was trying to buy my sister-in-law a massage for her birthday. I've gotten her this before, so I called the same spa. I get that massage therapy businesses don't have regular hours, they work off of appointments, that's cool. I asked the spa when I could come down and pick up a gift certificate and thought this was a simple request because I work right down the street. They couldn't nail down a time for me, so I gave up on them. I called another business, this time in my home town, which would be more convenient for my sister-in-law. Second business took down my name and number after I told them I wanted to come down and purchase a gift certificate because this was clearly too difficult to do when I called. Guess what? They never called me back. I shared my story on Facebook and my friends recommended a third Massage Therapist. At this point, it was my sister-in-law's actual birthday, so I figured I wasn't going to have a gift to give her. I finally reached a responsible business owner. Danielle didn't answer the phone, but she called me back literally two minutes after I called her. So to Southern Touch Therapeutic Massage, thank you for restoring my faith in customer service!

After today, that faith is shattered yet again. I've been budgeting for a new camera for two years now. I've been researching prices and thought that Best Buy would be the best option for me. I'd get double rewards and I had a coupon. Well, the camera is out of stock, as their website told me, and it directed me to the store so they could order one for me. I try to avoid stores as much as possible. It's better for everyone; I don't have to deal with sales reps and it works better with my schedule. Against my better judgment, I went to the store and waited patiently for them to open at 10 AM, seriously why isn't your store open at 9? I went right to the camera department and pulled aside the "expert." I explained what I wanted, I knew that they didn't have any in stock, and told him that the website said they could order one for me. I also showed him the coupon that clearly says, In Store Only! After ignoring me, he told me I had to order the camera online. I once again pointed out the coupon, and he assured me that it would work as long as I entered the code. He pulled up the website and pointed out the place for me to enter the code. Sigh.

I went back to the website which would not accept my email as a customer. Awesome. Because I'm not only a Best Buy credit card holder, I'm a Premium Silver Member. (I know it's hard to pick up on sarcasm, on a blog, but I'm dripping with it right now.) I decided to "Chat Now!" because I'm at work and chatting is easier than talking on the phone. Attached is the most unhelpful conversation I've ever had.


Did you answer all my questions? Um, how about NO! Most of the people that I shared this chat with think I wasn't actually chatting with a human being, that it was an automated response. I'm not sure, myself. I should have tried to reign in my sarcasm, as it was lost on the robot whom I'll refer to from this point on as Annoy-ette, because all she did was annoy me. 

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people do not want my money. First off, what sales representative lets a customer leave the store unsatisfied and without a product? Why did Annoy-ette not even attempt to assuage an angry customer?

I thought of going back to the store after I got out of work. I was going to demand to speak to a manager and I had a copy of this chat printed out. Then I realized, No. No, you are not going to waste any more of my time. I'm not going to go in there and be that angry customer. I'm sick and tired of only getting the treatment I deserve as a customer once I turn into a jerk and start yelling. Why is that the only way people respond to you these days? Instead, I'm going to cash in all my rewards from my Best Buy card and promptly cancel it. I know I'm one little tiny fish in a big pond, and they won't even be phased by it, but I'm done. I'm done with Best Buy. I'm done being treated like dirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment