Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Pies


I bet that got your attention. By far, my favorite family tradition is our Easter Pie Day. There's something innately special about a food that you only make once a year. As far back as I can remember, my mother's side of the family would get together the Saturday before Easter and we would make Easter Pies all day. As I grew older, I began to dabble in the dough making process, but the entire family took part: Uncle Richie, the meat cutter; Aunt Judi, the pie filler; Gramma Soup, the Dough Queen; my mother, keeping us all on track. My cousins and subsequently second cousins were quality control, testing as many pies as they could throughout the day. You see, Easter Pie is best served right out of the oven. Half the pies made were eaten, but there were still enough for everyone to take one home with them.

My brother, who is much better with words than I, explains:

"I am really fascinated with trying to decipher Italian-American pronunciation of Italian cuisine.  A perfect example of this is if you look at an Italian restaurant menu and try to find "basta fazul" on it- you know the bean and pasta soup that Gramma shared during visits on the weekend (actually spelled pasta fagioli).  Michelle laughs every time I drop vowels saying muzzarell (mozarella), rigaut (ricotta), or spuyadell (sfogliatelle).
 
I was describing to a friend that Michelle, Grace, and I would be gathering with family next Saturday to make what I refer to as Italian rice, egg, cheese, and meat pies.  But I remember Gramma calling them "bizza gain."  I mentioned this family ritual once to an Italian teacher at Fordham, and she said, "Well you know bizza gain actually means full or stuffed pie in Italian."  I never realized that the actual Italian words were pizza piena.
 
However you pronounce it, whatever you put in it, no matter what you call it, I am looking forward to seeing you all next Saturday in Connecticut to make Easter Pies."

 Since I'm the photographer, I say things better with images. I'm extremely lucky to have some fantastic, old photos to pull from here.


My grandparents.


The May Family.


The Mays on Easter Pie days.

Easter Pie Day action shots.

Gramma Soup


Over the years, rolls have changed. Family members have moved away and passed on. My mother is now the host of Easter Pie Day. My brother took the reigns in pie filling, which in my mind is the hardest part. Gramma Soup passed her dough making ability on to me. I still remember the first time she told me that I had "the feel" for it. I'm just happy to be able to play a part in the day, giving us all a reason to get together, catch up and enjoy some delicious food.


Happy Easter, and enjoy the time together with your loved ones! --The Dough Master

1 comment:

  1. This really is great Audra. Thanks for taking the time to write it down, add pictures, and record a part of our family tradition.

    ReplyDelete