Thursday, August 29, 2013

Jekyll Island 2013



For the second year in a row, I was able to take a week off from work (also known to some as a vacation) and spend it on Jekyll Island. I accompanied my brother and his family, along with my sister-in-law's family. We rented out the same house that we had last year, which has a pool and a hot tub; a nice alternative to the beach for the kids. This year, I took a bit of a vacation from taking pictures as well, which doesn't mean there are no pictures, obviously, but I didn't bring my camera along with me every single day.



We were there for the Perseid meteor shower. While I didn't get any shooting star pictures, I didn't bring along my tripod or a wide enough angle lens, I did want to take a picture of the night sky. The amount of stars you can see without light pollution is amazing. It really looked like the sky was twinkling.


There were plenty of early mornings with Grace and Hannah. 



Eucalyptus by the pool



Ghost crab


 Hannah loved the salt water and being able to stick her hands in it, then directly into her mouth.




I loved the orange beaked terns. It looked like they had old man hair.


This year I saw several dolphins very close to shore and following the fishing boats. I didn't capture any on "film" though.



Hannah and Grandma





I made it to one sunrise this year and after a few minutes, the sun peaked through the clouds.




You can count this as my "shoe shot" of the trip.




Our group photo for 2013. Grace has reached the stage where she doesn't want to smile for group pictures.






And another in front of our house.


We also attended the "Ghost Tour" this year. While the tour was a little silly, we learned a lot of history of the island. It was pitch black out, so I switched my camera onto manual focus and took mostly out of focus pictures. I think it adds to the haunted aspect of it.




What do you think? Any ghosts in there?





I spent a lot of time in Millionaire's Village this year. Maybe it's a result of taking so many answerbook cover shots, but I was drawn to the architecture and the beautiful Spanish Moss.




San Souci, owned by J.P. Morgan


Jekyll Island Club House



I'm fairly certain this is a Papilio polyxenes butterfly.


Crane Cottage and courtyard.



Faith Chapel


Grace showing off her sea turtle rolling back pack, picked up at the Turtle Rescue Center.


Saying good bye to Jekyll on our last day



The street we had to walk down to get to the beach.


And of course, it wouldn't be a trip to Jekyll without a shot of the Banana Spiders!

No comments:

Post a Comment