Tuesday, March 11, 2014

EOS M Concert Photography

 Noam Pikelny and Friends at Stage One in Fairfield, CT

 The Flesh Tones at Two Boots in Bridgeport, CT

It might seem silly to down grade my camera set up, but there are times when I don't have a photo pass or just want to go to a concert to enjoy the music. At the same time, I get anxious without a camera. The best solution for me is to have a smaller set up, with only a couple of lenses. For the most part, the EOS M camera has done a great job. I bought the converter ring with the camera and can use all my Canon lenses on it. While the camera has some issues focusing in low light, I can swap my lenses over to manual focus, except for the kit lens which does not have manual focus.

I've included a few examples from the past two concerts I went to. Both times, I used the kit 22mm lens and my 85mm 1.8 lens. I'm really happy with the results from the 85mm lens, which I don't tend to use on my DSLR that often. It's fairly compact and fast, which makes it great for the tiny EOS M. I kept the ISO down to 3200 for the Noam Pikelny pictures, but cranked it up for The Fleshtones to about 6400.














The only real camera issues I had were when the band members jumped onto our table. The 22mm lens didn't have enough light to focus and I couldn't control it. You can see that tried to focus on the background.





I was glad I brought along the EOS M for this show because I would have missed the reactions of my friends in the last shot. It's not every day that the lead singer performs on your table. The camera performs better than my last point and shoot and is about the same size. I'm going to test out my pancake 40mm lens with this set up next.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool and insightful. Been contemplating this myself for the same reason (hard to get photo pass)

    ReplyDelete